Monday, October 12, 2015

A healthy bit of distraction

believe we all need a healthy balance in our lives.  One of the most important things to balance is work and play. I think we all need a dose of distraction, silliness, stupidity, or guilty pleasure in our life.  You just can't give %100 of yourself %100 of the time. 
I had a life threatening experience and when I got out of the hospital I was determined to stop watching tv and be more productive. This was probably a side affect of the many many prescription drugs I was on. It's just not possible to be so productive without down time.  I slowly came to realize in the following  weeks after my declaration that I really just wanted to sit with my friends and just 'be.' 
When you are in pain, emotional or physical, tv can be used to numb the body. 
Sitcoms are great at this. 
I watch the office, there isn't even a laugh track to jar you awake. I suffer from chronic pain and tv has become so important to help me dull the pain.  
Your distraction doesn't have to be tv, it can be anything that makes you happy and requires only a few brain cells. It's even different than a creative outlet or catharsis, your not doing it to accomplish anything. You are doing it just to 'be.'
 I can tell a big difference in my day when I take the time to read at lunch. The change of pace does me good. 
But it's all about balance! 
I am not giving you free reign to watch tv all day and shirk your responsibilities. We need small doses of distraction and a dedication time and place for them. Put down your phone when you are talking to someone. Turn off the tv when your love tells you about their day. 
But also stoping pinning inspirational quotes like "You have the same number of hours in a day as Beyoncé."  That's too much pressure!
Be you, instead of Beyoncé. 
Be balanced and whole.
Be silly it's good for the soul. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment